Major renovation underway at Dalton Community Church
A MAJOR renovation project is finally underway at a church.
The church is a partnership between the city’s United Methodist and Reform congregations.
In 2011 they joined forces for Sunday morning services and in 2016 legally became one church, based in the former Market Street United Reformed Church.
For more than six years, they have been raising funds to modernize the building and make it more accessible to people.
Work has commenced and is being carried out by Barrow’s Ocean Construction to designs by architect Paul Grout of Kendal.
The building was previously on two levels, separated by two steep steps and had an unheated toilet and kitchen extension and an outside toilet for the disabled.
The redevelopment works consist of raising the floor of the parish hall to the same level as the church and splitting the hall to form a new kitchen, accessible toilets, entrance hall and storage space.
The space of the church is enlarged thanks to the removal of a porch, a sacristy, a balcony and a baptistery, and it will become a large multipurpose room, suitable for both worship services and at social events.
The Old Hall has been the venue for Saturday morning coffees, hosted by the church and local charities and organizations.
Dalton Community Church raised much of the money for the project itself, through donations, pledges, fundraising programs and events.
The NW Synod of the United Reformed Church, South West Cumbria United Area of Methodist and United Reformed Churches, Congregational and General Charitable Trust, Garfield Weston Foundation, All Churches Trust, Bay Wind Energy Conservation Trust, Tesco Community Fund and the Rotary Club of Furness Peninsula are thanked for their grants.
The former Wellington Street Methodist Church is for sale.
There are plans to remove the pipe organ, which has been a part of Dalton’s musical life since 1902, and rebuild it in the newly refurbished premises on Market Street in the fall.