HUD Allocates Millions for Housing and Community Development in Northwest Ohio Cities
TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) — The Department of Housing and Urban Development has awarded the Midwest $1.6 billion starting in fiscal year 2022 in CPD formula grants. Ohio received $381 million for community planning, development grants and public housing authority funding.
Ohio distributes the funds among four cities: Bowling Green, Lima, Sandusky and Toledo.
Bowling Green will receive $290,789, Lima will receive a total of $1,403,417, Sandusky will receive $729,701 and Toledo will receive $10,397,217.
According to HUD, these grants allocate funds to eligible recipients under various programs. Formula grants contain various types of funding opportunities.
- The Community Development Block Grant, which develops viable urban communities each year by providing an appropriate living environment.
- The CDBG Recovery Housing Program enables states and DC to provide stable, transitional housing for those recovering from substance use disorder.
- HOME Investment Partnerships provide funding to states and localities, in partnership with nonprofit organizations, for activities such as the construction, purchase and rehabilitation of affordable housing for rent or ownership, as well as the providing direct rental assistance to low-income people.
- Emergency Solutions Grants provide funding to homeless shelters to assist with local shelter operations, homelessness prevention programs, and related social services.
- Housing Opportunities for People Living with HIV/AIDS provides rental housing assistance and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
- The Housing Trust Fund allocates funds to create affordable housing for very low-income households and CDBG CV-3 reallocations, fund COVID-19 preparedness, prevention and response activities.
There are also grants from the Capital Funds Program which provide funding to public housing agencies for the financing, development and upgrading of social housing developments and management improvements. Ohio received 48 CFP awards, which brought in $122,258,356.
Indian Hosing Block Grants provides funding packages for affordable housing activities on reservations, communities, and Alaska Native villages. Nationally, there are 594 tribes where $775 million will be paid and 33 tribes in the Midwest where $67.8 million will be paid to tribes in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Other states that will receive funding from the Midwest CPD Formula Grant are Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please include the title when you Click here to report it.
Copyright 2022 WTVG. All rights reserved.