$1.6 million for WV community development
WASHINGTON, DC – Senators Shelley Moore Capito (RW.Va.) and Joe Manchin (DW.Va.) announced that $1,624,140 will go to community development projects.
Through AmeriCorps and NeighborWorks, the funding will be used to “support projects that strengthen communities, revitalize neighborhoods, preserve affordable housing, and create jobs in West Virginia.”
“This support announced today will contribute to efforts that empower individuals to become more engaged in their communities, help alleviate poverty, provide access to affordable housing, and help improve our state,” Senator Capito said.
“The AmeriCorps and NeighborWorks projects continue to strengthen our communities and drive economic development, and I am pleased to announce these six new initiatives,” said Senator Manchin. “These projects will support West Virginia, from improving access to affordable housing to creating new opportunities for scientific research.”
Funding will be allocated as such:
NeighborWorks US FY22 grant funding:
· $210,000 – Home Ownership Center, Inc.
· $195,000 – CommunityWorks in West Virginia, Inc.
AmeriCorps VISTA Awards:
· $374,490 –West Virginia University Research Body
· $335,310 –United Way of Central West Virginia, Inc.
· $293,850 –VM Community Development Center
· $215,490 –Education Alliance-Business and Community for Public Schools, Inc.